Rajasthan in Northern India is a photographers paradise - a sensory overload of colour and culture. Whether you are a seasoned traveller to India or this is your first time but not sure where to start, this 8 day photo tour is the perfect introduction to experience the incredible Pink City of Jaipur and the untouristy area Shekhawati.
Capture stunning images of magnificent palaces and forts, painted frescoe havelis, beautiful Art Deco cinema, traditional artisans, flower and vegetable markets, colourfully dressed locals, street life. Your camera will be in over-drive by the wealth of photography. A week of not only practising your photographic skills and capturing some amazing travel photos with a professional photographer / instructor/ experienced traveller to India - Sarah Jenkins, but an opportunity to immerse yourself in all things Rajasthan - colour, pageantry, history and culture, Indian ceremonies, delicious food, horses, camels, textiles, gems, chai, block printing and more. With the help of local guides / tour agency and Sarah’s photographic and travel knowledge of Jaipur and the towns of the Shehawati area, this unique small group tour (max 8 people) will show you more than just the usual tourist sights, but also hidden photographic treasures.
- Old Pink City explore narrow streets - bazaars and markets, traditional craftsmen and artisans which this city is famous for (Lots of great photo opportunities). City Palace - a complex of Rajasthani and Mughal architectural buildings and gardens, and the iconic Palace of the Winds with its latticed honeycomb windows. Have your portrait photo taken, and a souvenir black and white print, by well known local photographer using his grandfather's 150 year old wooden Carl Zeiss camera. Morning local flower market - a hive of activity with few tourists - where piles of orange marigolds and fragrant pink rose petals tumbling out of gorgeous coloured sari sacks with hard working vendors delivering the flowers to the market - so much vibrant colour everywhere. Majestic Amber Fort, and the stunning glittering Hall of Mirrors. Anokhi Museum of Hand Printing - set in a lovely restored haveli house. Spectacular 16th century architectural stone stepwell with eight story high symmetrical pattern steps and pool. Watch a Bollywood movie along with local movie goers at famous Art Deco cinema - one of the most beautiful cinema's in the world! Colourful temple ceremony attended by devotees offering flowers and fruits to Krishna idols.
- Spend 2 days exploring some of these fascinating small towns including Fatephur and Nawalgarh, in this untouristy area of Rajasthan - known as the painted haveli outdoor galleries. While many of Shekhawati’s grand havelis built in the 18th and 19th centuries by wealthy merchant families and ornately decorated both inside and out with painted murals depicting an array of subjects and mythological figures, have crumbled and been abandoned, a few of these painted mansions are being preserved. (Camera heaven!). Stay 2 nights in 19th century beautifully restored haveli hotel in small village. As well as visiting some of the best preserved (and abandoned) painted havelis, wander the narrow streets of Nawalgarh’s small town bazaar / market; photograph galloping Indian horses as they return late afternoon to their stables from the paddock at a 1920’s rural house/ stud farm. Observe village where camels and peacocks roam.
To view a few photos taken in Jaipur & Shekhawati India go to SignaturePhoto Photography Courses Facebook Album Jaipur & Shekhawati photos 2017 www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1654338857928691&type=3
Tour itinerary Wednesday 27 February - Wednesday 6 March 2019
(N.B Tour content or schedule may change due to issues that may arise out of our control)
Day 1 (Feb 27)
- Arrive at our photo tour hotel Jaipur. 12.30pm meet in hotel, Sarah and group for introductions. Around 3pm venture into the old centre of Jaipur for an introduction to this fascinating walled city. For those who won’t be arriving until late afternoon you can join and meet the rest of group at dinner in the evening. Over night at hotel Jaipur - haveli / palace / luxury colonial house.
Day 2 (Feb 28)
- We spend the day in the old Pink City, Jaipur - City Palace, Palace of the Winds, bazaars and markets, traditional craftsmen and artisans. Over night at hotel Jaipur.
Day 3 (Mar 1)
- Local flower market on outskirts Jaipur. Drive to Amber - the majestic Amber Fort, and the stunning glittering Hall of Mirrors. In Amber Village visit Anokhi Museum of Hand Printing,16th century architectural stone stepwell. Over night at hotel Jaipur.
Day 4 & 5 (Mar 2 & 3)
- Drive to Shekhawati (re. 5hrs) and spend next 2 days exploring some of these fascinating small towns and village and their abandoned painted grand havelis built in the 18th and 19th centuries by wealthy merchant families.
2 nights at a 19th century beautifully restored Haveli hotel with all the mod cons!, Shekhawati
Day 6 (Mar 4)
- Morning - Free time wandering sandy laneways around hotel while observing local village life. Drive back to Jaipur. Watch Bollywood movie along with local movie goers at Art Deco cinema; street photography around the busy streets near the cinema: camels, traffic, everyday life etc Over night at hotel Jaipur.
Day 7 (Mar 5)
- Morning - Visit colourful Temple ceremony in Jaipur. Afternoon - free time for textile, gem, souvenir shopping Ayurvedic massage. Last night - ‘special' group dinner. Over night in hotel Jaipur.
Day 8 (Mar 6)
- Tour ends after breakfast.
Tailored for beginners or those who just want to become more confident photographers, this specialist photography tour is designed to make the most of photographic opportunities along the journey whilst being enjoyable and fun! It allows time to learn the fundamentals of photography, advancing your skills and creativity to ensure you come away with some great photographs as well as sharing knowledge and experiences with like minded people. The tour has been tailored to 7 nights, to allow, if you have time before or after the tour, to add extra days and explore other places in Rajasthan / India or Delhi independently; or create your own custom extra days India tour through a travel agent. (Jodhpur, Pushkar are easy extensions from Jaipur.
Anyone with a passion for travel or photography will find inspiration from this tour. (Note: A level of fitness is required due to daily walking around streets and sights.)
If you are interested in booking this tour please email Sarah via the contact form on SignaturePhoto website for a PDF detailed itinerary of this India Photo Tour to be emailed to you; or if any questions call Sarah 0419447635
small group - max 8 persons (minimum 4).
(Unlike other travel photo tours with group sizes up to 16 people, Sarah prefers small groups to ensure a more authentic and personal photo tour experience).
Sarah Jenkins - Tour leader & Photography Instructor
Sarah, based in Sydney Australia, is an award winning photographer, photography instructor, and an avid traveller - 135 countries and all 7 continents. Sarah is the director of SignaturePhoto Photography Courses - leading short photography courses and tours in Sydney and around the world. She has travelled to India 10 times over the years - both for holiday and photography client work. India is one of Sarah’s favourite countries, returning to Rajasthan again in February 2017.
Sarah has been teaching photography courses in Sydney for the past 9 years with consistently positive client feedback (150 excellent TripAdvisor reviews for SignaturePhoto & Award for Excellence 2016) with regards to her teaching style and photo course content.
Click here to read past client TripAdvisor reviews.
To view some of Sarah’s images go to www.sarahjdesign.com
and her Instagram page @signaturephototravels
AU$6100 p/p shared room AU$6900 single room ( request at time of booking if require own room)
7 nights accommodation in 3.5/ 4 star hotels, chosen for their uniqueness that reflect the Indian culture i.e. palace / haveli / luxury colonial house.
All meals during tour. (Incl. restaurants chosen for their fab decor, location and food).
All ground transport during 7 day tour including private mini bus and driver for day trip to and from Amber, 5 hour drive from Jaipur to and around Shekhawati towns and return to Jaipur.
Professional photography instruction, tour leader and local guide services
Palace, fort & guide fees
Small group size
: airport / train hotel transfers, alcohol, tips for local staff, visa and international or domestic airfares, personal items incl: laundry, phone, minibar etc
Comprehensive travel insurance is required to join this tour.
How to book tour / Questions:
. If you are interested in joining this India Photo Tour please email Sarah via the contact form
for a PDF detailed itinerary of this tour to be emailed to you. If you then wish to make a booking, a booking form will be emailed to you for you to complete. A non-refundable deposit of AU$500 will be required to confirm booking.
If you have any questions please email Sarah via the contact form
or call Sarah at SignaturePhoto.
Cancellations / Refunds
Cancellations are non refundable.
SignaturePhoto Photography Courses reserves the right to vary/alter Tour content or schedule due to local weather or issues that may arise out of our control, or cancel if necessary.
Cancellation of Tour by SignaturePhoto will ensure a full refund of payment amount received.
SignaturePhoto Photography Courses shall take no responsibility or liability for personal or property damage during the duration of the tour or be liable for non- refundable Airline tickets.
Comprehensive travel insurance is required to join this tour.
Flights: No airlines fly direct from Australia to Jaipur, but Etihad Airways,Thai Airways and Air India fly to Jaipur on their international routes. Jet Airways has international and domestic flights within India. Singapore Airlines also has good connections to cities in India via Singapore.
Trains: There are fast trains (5-6 hours) from Delhi to Jaipur. There are also trains from Jodhpur and other cities to Jaipur.